The new Canberra Airport Terminal is one of the largest, most anticipated, private developments in the ACT. Transforming Canberra's antiquated existing terminal facility into a state-of-the-art modern concourse has been a complex, but truly rewarding task.
Providing new facilities for aeroplane parking, boarding, baggage handling and passenger processing at Canberra's busiest transport hub, while keeping existing facilities operational during the change-over period has been challenge Rudds has embraced and excelled in. Working together with a large project team of multi-disciplinary engineers and architects, the project has now delivered the second of a number milestones: Stage 2 of the Terminal Concourse is open to the public, as are both multi-story car park facilities and the new elevated road system.
Rudds provided a complete electrical and mechanical services package. Delivering on state-of-the-art tri-generation and back-up power systems incorporating 1.4MVA gas generators delivering clean power to the terminal precinct as well as working in parallel with 2MVA diesel stand-by gen-sets controlled via a high performance SCADA system for high power reliability. Fully automatic power control systems keep the precinct running optimally under a multitude of fault scenarios.
Specific Rudds involvement in the terminal precinct upgrades:
- 2x Tri-generation and backup power plants (multiple Gas, Diesel and UPS systems);
- Main terminal building (Concourse) electrical, mechanical and communications services;
- Apron lighting;
- Specialised 400Hz aircraft power system;
- 2x multi-story car park facilities, with base building office space above; and
- On-grade car parks and roadway electrical infrastructure.